Using environmental process improvements, support your business with:
Is there value in environmental process improvements?
- Air compressor: fixed leaks saving 198,000 kWh/yr, ⇩ costs by $19,000/yr
- Water valves: broken valve results in tank overflow and cooling water for equipment not running = 980,000 m3/yr leak, costing $190,000/year
- Conveyors: misaligned conveyor resulted in 2.5g loss per product, at a total cost of $74,000/yr
- Reuse: end of run product diverted back into process, recovering 27,000kg/yr and generating $117,000/yr in revenue
- Lighting: LED retrofit ROI of 0.75 years (w/o rebates), ⇩ electricity costs and better lighting (pictured) resulted in greater productivity
Find revenue in your waste
Always keep in mind the full scale production costs associated with food waste – starting with the cost of the ingredients, transportation to get them to your facility, associated labour through production, energy and water use throughout, and finally waste disposal costs.
- Food waste ‘prevention’ is a revenue stream: $1,000/t, $2,000/t, $8,000/t
- Food waste ‘management/diversion’ is a bottom-line cost: $70/t, $80/t, $90/t
Let us know how we can best support you? We will connect you with the proper tools, training and support, including:
- Industry-leading expertise: one-on-one coaching, on-site assessments
- Access to grants: or further training, retrofits, assessment or pilot projects
- Partnerships: with industry, government and alike
- Resources: tools, articles, blogs, case studies and more
LEAP was made possible by the generous support of Growing Forward 2, a federal-provincial-territorial initiative.